daily tails logo

How do I train my dog not to chase after cars or bicycles?

Asked a year ago

When we go on walks or if we mistakenly let the front door open our dog jets off after any passing bike or car. This is of course very dangerous and puts us in quite a frenzy. How can I stop him from doing this?

Yuliana Simon

Monday, April 03, 2023

Chasing cars and bicycles is natural, but you want to teach your dog a new behavior since it can be dangerous. You will need a six-foot leash and some high-value treats. Start by walking your dog far enough from passing cars and bikes that he can focus on you. Ask your dog to look at you whenever a vehicle or bicycle passes. Praise him and reward him with a treat. Your dog should start to make an association between the passing car or bike and the high-value food treat. With enough practice, he should begin to look at you as the moving vehicle goes by in anticipation of the reward. Again, offer praise and rewards for focusing on you when a car passes. Once you're confident your dog is focused on you, you can decrease the distance between where you walk and the passing vehicles. If your dog begins to try and chase the car or bike, you need to increase the distance between you and the motorists for him to be successful.

Write an answer...

Cancel

Please follow our  Community Guidelines

Can't find what you're looking for?