Wagmo vs. Pumpkin: Pick the Best Pet Insurance for Lifetime Coverage
Updated September 21, 2023.
Pet insurance has increasingly become a must-have for many pet parents. According to NAPHIA’s State of the Industry Report 2023, close to 5.36 million pets were insured in the US in 2022, a 21.7% increase from the year before.
A pet's unexpected illness or injury can quickly rack up vet bills in the thousands. A Synchrony study estimates that the average lifetime veterinary cost for pets can easily reach over $55,000. In comparison, that monthly premium suddenly looks like a wise investment.
With an array of coverage options out there, the real challenge is finding the right policy that suits both your budget and your pet's needs.
This post will compare Wagmo and Pumpkin, using the following criteria:
- What they cover
Wagmo vs. Pumpkin Pet Insurance at a Glance
|Wagmo Pet Insurance
|Dogs and cats; no upper age limit
|Dogs and cats over 8 weeks old
|Accident and Illness plan; 3 levels of wellness plans that can be bought separately
|Single accident-and-illness plan
|$250, $500, or $1,000
|$100, $250, $500, or $1,000
|Up to 100% reimbursement after the deductible
|90% reimbursement after deductible
|Add-Ons and Discounts
|15% discount on your premium if you don't file any claims for an entire year; VIP Club discounts on pet care, dog training, and more
|Wellness add-on plan; 10% off for each additional pet you enroll
Wagmo vs. Pumpkin: What They Cover
Choosing between Wagmo and Pumpkin for pet insurance? Both companies offer comprehensive policies to help pet parents manage unexpected vet bills, but they have a different focus.
Wondering what Wagmo has to offer? Wagmo is a woman-founded pet insurance that has only been in the market since 2017 but has already proven a top contender.
Here are some common questions asked about Wagmo:
- Is Wagmo legit? Absolutely! Wagmo Pet Insurance might be a newcomer, but its unique offerings make it a great choice for many pet parents.
- Is Wagmo good pet insurance? Wagmo offers coverage for a range of illnesses and accidents, as well as unique options for your pet's wellness expenses.
- Is Wagmo good? And is Wagmo worth it? For many, the answer is a resounding 'yes.' With vet bills growing quickly, pet insurance can make a world of difference when unexpected incidents strike. By offering a comprehensive range of coverages, Wagmo can provide substantial savings when your pet gets sick or suffers an accident.
- How does Wagmo work? Like other insurance providers, you pay a monthly premium once you pick a plan with Wagmo. If your pet needs medical care, Wagmo will help cover the costs.
- Does Wagmo cover medication? Prescription medication is covered under Wagmo's standard policy.
- Does Wagmo require a vet exam? There is no vet check or health assessment required to get coverage.
Wagmo offers a comprehensive illness & accident and injury plan that covers your pet in almost every unexpected situation.
- Illnesses: From cancer, hereditary and congenital conditions (like hip dysplasia), ear infections, and prescription medication, Wagmo has a comprehensive illness cover. This ensures your furry friend gets the treatment they deserve without causing a dent in your pocket.
- Accidents and injuries: The unexpected can happen at any time. That's why Wagmo covers emergency vet visits, virtual or in-office care, hospital stays, surgeries, x-rays, ultrasounds, CT scans, lab tests, and even pet ambulance services.
Note: Wagmo is currently the only pet insurance in the market that allows you to purchase a wellness plan on its own, without any other policy.
Without this routine care plan, pet parents would have to pay out-of-pocket for essentials like bloodwork, tick and flea medications, dental care, vaccines, regular check-ups, and even grooming.
Considering Pumpkin Pet Insurance? Here are some common questions that can help you make a decision:
- Do Pumpkin Pet Insurance premiums increase with age? Like many insurance policies, premiums might adjust based on a variety of factors, including age.
- Is Pumpkin Pet Insurance legit? Absolutely. Pumpkin launched in 2020 and regularly receives positive reviews and testimonials online.
- Is Pumpkin Pet Insurance good? Pumpkin’s comprehensive coverage and efficient claims process make it an excellent choice for many pet owners.
- What is not covered by Pumpkin Pet Insurance? While Pumpkin offers extensive coverage, there are exclusions. Their policy won’t cover most pre-existing conditions, breeding costs, cosmetic or elective procedures, and dental cleanings.
What does Pumpkin Pet Insurance cover? Pumpkin offers a wide scope of coverage for pets 8 weeks or older, including:
- Illnesses: From dental diseases and ear infections to more severe conditions like cancer, Pumpkin's coverage ensures your pet is cared for.
- Accidents and injuries: Whether it's poisonings or bite wounds, Pumpkin has got you covered.
- Parasite infections: Diseases like Lyme disease or heartworm can be managed easily with Pumpkin’s help.
- Behavioral issues: Dealing with behavioral problems like aggression or separation anxiety? Pumpkin includes coverage for behavioral treatments.
- Pre-existing conditions: Pumpkin offers coverage for some pre-existing conditions but with caveats. For example, if a condition was cured and the pet has been symptom-free for 180 days, it might be covered (knee and hind leg ligament conditions are excluded).
- Microchipping: Pumpkin covers microchipping so your pet can be safe.
Wagmo vs Pumpkin: Deductibles
Deductibles play an essential role in pet insurance, affecting both your monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs during those unexpected vet visits.
Curious about how much Wagmo is per month? Wagmo’s prices vary depending on your location, animal’s age, breed, and plan preference.
- Wellness plans start at $20/month
- Illness and accident plans start at $13/month
Their wellness plan ensures members are reimbursed for routine wellness visits, vaccines, or routine blood work year-round. More importantly, their plan comes with a 100% guaranteed acceptance—no restrictions to worry about.
Wagmo offers 100% coverage after you pay your chosen deductible of $250, $500, or $1,000.
Wondering how much Pumpkin Pet Insurance is? Remember that the deductible you choose determines how much you'd be paying out-of-pocket each year before you start receiving reimbursements.
For example, if you choose an annual deductible of $500, Pumpkin will only step in after you pay the first $500 out of pocket. With Pumpkin, you can pick an annual deductible of $100, $250, $500, or $1,000, depending on your budget and needs.
Wagmo vs Pumpkin: Reimbursement
Reimbursements refer to how much money you’ll get back after you pay for veterinary services.
With Wagmo's wellness plan, you can get up to $1,100 a year. Their accident and illness plan comes with a lifetime limit of $100,000 with a 100% reimbursement after deductibles.
Need to claim? Just snap a photo of your bill and upload it to Wagmo's app for a quick reimbursement.
Pumpkin offers a 90% reimbursement on covered vet expenses. Wondering if Pumpkin Insurance pays the vet directly? While the company doesn’t offer direct payment, filing a claim is quick and easy—just upload a copy of your vet bill and any records that might be relevant, and you’ll be reimbursed within days.
Pumpkin offers the following annual limits: $10k to unlimited for dogs, and $7k to unlimited for cats.
» Learn the reasons pet insurance is worth investing in
Which Is Better For Your Pet: Wagmo or Pumpkin?
In the world of pet insurance, there's no one-size-fits-all. Both Wagmo and Pumpkin offer comprehensive plans that address the different needs of pets and their owners. However, with Wagmo's separate wellness plan, high reimbursements, and extensive VIP perks, it may be the solution you're looking for.
So why not take a more in-depth look at Wagmo and get a quote today? Your pet deserves the best, and so do you.